HOW FULL IS YOUR HAPPINESS TANK?
Happiness will wax and wane. It’s a perfectly normal phenomenon. There is no one, not even the Dalai Lama who is in a perpetual state of happiness. The only difference is that an enlightened being will see unhappiness like a passing cloud and not associate with it. They just observe the state calmly and quietly and rest back into their deeper states of being. Believe it or not, it is even possible to be aware of one’s blissful inner being and simultaneously conscious of a more surface state of melancholy or sadness. The mind is an interesting thing that maybe observed, explored and understood, and this enables one to navigate life with greater maturity and less attachment.
However, when the happiness tank feels low and you need to lift out of a low energy state, here’s a few tips that can help you move on:
- Meditation– this simple act of stepping back and immersing within, will gently release tendencies towards depression. Meditation creates a separation between you and your emotions. Seeing that you are not the same as your emotions creates a freshness. It’s like allowing the fresh spring water to wash away stagnation. Learn any meditation technique and make it part of your routine. Morning and evening is best.
- Gratitude– drop the comparing habit and make a list of all the things you can be grateful for. There will always be others who are smarter, better looking, richer, more famous or more powerful. You need to drop that. Write down on paper (yes the old fashioned way!), all of the things you can count your blessings for. There are many.
- Exercise– this is one of the most potent antidepressants known to man. Exercises releases the happy hormones, endorphins. Regular exercise of any sort, will help lift you from a low energy state, to one that is more positive, more energetic and more happy. Start simple with a nice walk and after making that a habit, add in flexibility and strength.
- Fun– life is meant to be fun. Have you forgotten how to have fun? Have you forgotten how to laugh? Have you bought into the “rat-race” philosophy? Time to drop that! Remember what gives you pleasure. Is it dancing? Is it singing? Is it music? Is it a movie? It need not cost the world, but we all need to find fun and pleasure in our lives.
- Service– one of the most important ways of being happy is to make others happy. Find a way to make someone else smile. Get involved in some community work. Yes, do something that you gain absolutely nothing from. Make another human being happy.
Hope that helps to top up your happiness tank! Have a great day!!!
In Health and Wellness